Thursday, June 21, 2012

Original Landscape Desert Painting

I know as an artist I should have a camera and sketchbook at
the ready but sometimes I do the best I can with the tools I have…. While rolling down the highway toward Wickenburg, Arizona I saw this set of shapes in the landscape. We stopped for a brief time and I jotted this scene on a paper napkin. (What can I say but I love "In and Out Burgers” and I save the napkins.) After a trip I usually have a couple of “napkin sketches.”

So although I applaud plein aire painters, that day I was not ready to absorb the desert heat. A brief sketch with a strong idea can be better for my art work than a reference photo with too many details. In a way reference photos can be a hindrance if I become absorbed in the details of the scene and forget about the spirit of the painting I wished to capture….

Etsy Updates and A Snippet of Favorite Treasuries in the month of June:

Original Art Treasuries curated by the artists of Etsy:
Summer art for everyone by Ruthsartwork
Fine Art Every Which Way No Matter How You Slice It! by CJsArtShop
"If you see her, say Hello by Bob Dylan" by ArtbyTrudi

Vibrant and fun summer treasuries:
Textured Bliss Studio by jcstrong

Awesome summer arts and crafts for anyone by Ruthsartwork

2 comments:

  1. I love the purples in this. I agree about the brain baking aspect of plein aire. Freezing fingers has no attraction either. The napkins for sketches is a great idea. For some reason mine turn out to be Bruester's ice cream napkins.
    I always forget to take my sketchbook with me when I travel. Maybe I should just keep a small one in the glove compartment. I never thought of that until now. I do love my photos though - if I could remember my camera too, I'd be all set. At least with digital you have a better idea of what you've got as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Ruth
    Thanks for the comments and Bruester's Ice Cream sounds yummy...So. California & Arizona have lots of opportunities for being outdoors but I seem to have ideas at the most unlikely time. I should just leave a sketch pad in my car....talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete