Friday, January 14, 2011

Storytelling in Art by JC Strong

I was thumbing through Kevin Macpherson's book, Landscape Painting Inside & Out and Chapter Seven asks "Why do you paint?" The answer for me is I have an artistic story to express. My visual adventures are rooted usually in my perception of nature.

I painted "Red Balloon," (8'x10")above in the studio after spending time at the park. The trees were reminiscent of old California but the person with the balloon brought it into 2011. I liked the idea of old and new together . . .

I painted "Sunset at Poche Beach" (4" x 6") in order to capture an abstract moment in a very small canvas. My hope is although these paintings are very different they both provide the viewer an entrance into a story they can complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment