Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Original Impressionist Painting and Art Ideas by JC Strong

This new painting is my effort to capture a street in Mexico and embrace the pallette of colors used by Rembrandt.

Rembrandt used a five-color pallette of yellow ochre, burnt sienna, burnt umber, black, cadmium red and white. All I can say, bless the old masters . . . They are able to create vibrant masterpieces in chiaroscuro with just a few colors and even ground charcoal into white in order to make a blue grey. Old masters make fine art look effortless . . .
It was a great exercise but to tell the whole truth I added a couple of additional colors and lots of light. It turned out to be an impressionist landscape. I just couldn’t stay out of my “Art Bin.”

The key thing was to remind me a limited pallette is a valuable exercise. It gave me a connection to the past and of course I'll keep trying . . . After studying this painting, I'm going to try to take it a little further. I'll post the outcome in the near future.

Shop Update and Treasury Highlights:

"There's more to paper then planes" by TripleJPendants has curated a treasury. The focus is paper creations of art and accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment