Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Painting Motivation, Inspiration and Hope

I thought I'd give a little insight into my past, motivation, and why my art inspiration comes from nature. I'm a retired victim/witness advocate. I worked with survivors of crime & other trauma for about 20 years. During that period I saw how the process of creating art could assist survivors in their healing journey.

Not all survivors became artists but many had a cathartic experience through art in its different forms. I truly believe people don't forget a traumatic and painful occurrence. They acquire tools that help them survive and become stronger.

After witnessing arts benefits, I began reading art history books, created my first stick figures, and was on the road to my own art education and journey.

My subject matter on the surface is not about crime and pain. I do understand artists that share their emotions on canvas and it can be beautiful. My work is more about capturing nature. The motivation is to capture life's natural tenderness. I like knowing "mother earth" gives us hope.

”Happy are the painters, for they shall not be lonely. Light and colour, peace and hope, will keep them company to the end of the day." -- Winston Churchill.

3 comments:

  1. Good post, and a reminder that art serves so many purposes. I enjoyed looking at your work as well, and will look forward to coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sonya for your comments. I took a peek at your blog and saw some beautiful work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JC, inspiring to read about your journey toward art. Love the piece you featured here.

    ReplyDelete